1. We are committed to providing a high quality legal service and to dealing with all our clients fairly. We acknowledge that we may not always get it right so if something has gone wrong, including in relation to a bill, we need you to tell us.
How do I make a complaint?
2. If you have any concerns or complaints about our work for you or a bill, please raise them in the first instance with the person dealing with your matter or the partner supervising your matter.
3. If you are still unhappy you can contact our client care partner in writing (by letter, fax or email) or by speaking with our client care partner, whose contact details are:
Craig Hardman (Partner).
- Letter: Richmond Point, 43 Richmond Hill, Bournemouth, Dorset BH2 6LR
- Telephone: 01202 294566
- Fax: 01202 552285
- Email: email@example.com
4. To help us to understand your complaint, and in order that we do not miss anything, please tell us:
- your full name and contact details
- what you think we have got wrong
- what you hope to achieve as a result of your complaint, and
- your file reference number (if you have it)
5. If you require any help in making your complaint we will try to help you.
How will you deal with my complaint?
6. We will record your complaint centrally.
7. We will aim to acknowledge your complaint in writing within 7 days, enclosing a copy of this policy.
8. We will investigate your complaint. This will usually involve:
- reviewing your complaint
- reviewing your file(s) and other relevant documents, and
- speaking with the person who dealt with your matter
9. We may also need to ask you for further information or documents. If so, we will ask you to provide the information within a specific period of time.
10. We may also, if appropriate, invite you to a meeting to discuss your complaint. You do not have to attend if you do not wish to or if you are unable to. We will be happy to discuss the matter with you on the telephone.
11. We will update you on the progress of your complaint at appropriate times.
12. We will write to you at the end of our investigation to tell you what we have done and what we propose to do to resolve your complaint. We will aim to do this within 28 days of the date of our written acknowledgement of your complaint or our meeting with you whichever is later.
What if I am not satisfied with the outcome?
13. If you are still unhappy you may ask the Legal Ombudsman to look into your complaint. You can contact the Legal Ombudsman:
- by post: Legal Ombudsman, PO Box 6806, Wolverhampton, WV1 9WJ
- by telephone: 0300 555 0333, or
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
14. You must usually refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of our final written response to your complaint and within six years of the act or omission about which you are complaining occurring (or within three years of you becoming aware of it). Further details are available on the website: www.legalombudsman.org.uk.
15. The Legal Ombudsman deals with complaints from:
- micro-enterprises (broadly businesses or enterprises with fewer than ten employees and turnover or assets not exceeding €2m)
- charities, clubs, associations or organisations with less than £1m net annual income
- trustees of a trust valued at less than £1m
- personal representatives or beneficiaries of the estate of an individual who had not complained to the Legal Ombudsman before their death
16. Alternative complaints bodies (such as ProMediate (UK) Limited (http://www.promediate.co.uk)) exist which are competent to deal with complaints about legal services should both you and our firm wish to use such a scheme. We do not agree to use such alternative complaints bodies or schemes. Therefore if you wish to complain further you should contact the Legal Ombudsman.
What will it cost?
17. We will not charge you for handling your complaint.
18. Please note that if we have issued a bill for work done on the matter, and all or some of the bill is not paid, we may be entitled to charge interest on the amount outstanding.
19. The Legal Ombudsman service is free of charge.